Need an easy cheesy appetizer to pleasy? With the Super Bowl right around the corner you need this clutch app in your back pocket. If you’re hosting a bigger crowd simply double or triple the recipe.
Ingredients and prep steps for a 4-person serving:
- One crusty loaf of bread (I used Italian bread)
- 0.5 to 0.75 lbs of Gouda cheese (I used Dutch Gouda)
- 3/4 – 1 cup of olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
Add more or less of anything to taste. Personally, I like enough garlic to Vampire-proof my home, but understand that’s not for everyone.🧛
1. Mix your olive oil, garlic and green onion so the flavors can mingle while you prepare the bread and cheese. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Slice loaf across and lengthwise to almost the bottom, but not totally through, allowing the ingredients to stay within the bread casing you’re creating.
3. Slice the Gouda thinly so it melts well. Note: I suggest slicing even thinner than my pictures. The thinner it is the easier it will melt and spread. No such thing as slicing too thin here.
4. Next, tuck the cheese into the loaf and cover generously with the olive oil, green onion and garlic mixture (we’re not on diets today, people!).
5. Place loaf on a greased cooking sheet or tinfoil. Cook for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted to your preference. You can also wrap the loaf in tinfoil if you’re concerned the ingredients might spill out or to contain the heat for further melting of the cheese.
Looks good, right?! You really can’t go wrong with bread and cheese.
Share your fabulous creation on social media using @foodwinediy or #foodwinediy for a feature on my blog!