If you love a delicious baked potato with dinner, you really should try it with breakfast sometime.
My recipe yields a meal for 2-3 people (read: possible leftovers to take to work the next day).
- 1 lb bag of southwestern style hashbrown potatoes (I used Great Value)
- Shredded cheese (I used a fiesta blend for a more southwestern twist)
- 6 large eggs
- Milk and butter/margarine
- Green onion, chopped
- Seasoned salt (optional)
- Chipotle-flavored Cholula/hot sauce (optional)
Prep and Cooking
- Always start with the potatoes, medium heat in a large pan or wok, as they take the longest. I use only cooking spray to keep them from burning and sticking, but some use olive oil as well. I do not because it adds calories and I don’t notice the difference, but it is really a preferential choice.
- Add chopped green onion in to potato as desired.
- While the potatoes are on, crack the 6 eggs* in a mixing bowl, then add 1/8-1/4 cup of milk and 1 tbsp of butter/margarine. The butter/margarine and milk will make your eggs much fluffler. Add them to a medium pan on lower heat.
* I allow only about 3 yolks in to the mixture for a lower cholesterol dish
- Stir the potatoes occasionally, making sure they all fry evenly. Add additional cooking spray and seasoned salt if desired when stirring. Total cook time for potatoes should be about 15 minutes.
- Once eggs and potatoes are done, stack potatoes on the plate first, then eggs, cheese, sour cream and additional green onion for garnishment or to taste. You can also add chipotle-flavored Cholula/hot sauce if you prefer.